Saturday, May 16, 2009

I made the spaghetti casserole last night, and it turned out great. It's in the freezer with our other post-baby meals, but I saved just a little for dinner last night. Savy loved it and kept making yummy noises while she ate. It's not exactly the healthiest dish, but it gives a little variety. I didn't get a photo, but here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it.

INGREDIENTS
1 package (16 ounces) angel hair pasta broken into 2 inch pieces
1 pound ground beef
1 small package fresh mushrooms
1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream (I used light sour cream)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (I used Colby/cheddar blend)

DIRECTIONS
-- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, and tomato sauce. Cook on medium heat about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
-- Drain pasta. Combine soup and sour cream. In two 8-in. square baking dishes, layer half of the meat sauce, pasta, soup mixture and cheese. Repeat layers.
-- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until cheese is melted.

TO USE FROZEN CASSEROLE: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).

I was considering whether or not to try making chicken and dumplings...mine never turn out quite right. Luckily, Nanny has offered to make some for me. There is no better comfort food than chicken and dumplings!

1 comment:

Nanny said...

I bought some plastic bowls today to put dumplings in for the freezer. I'll try to fix you several different things before the baby comes if I am able. Savy probably won't eat the dumplings though, will she? I also copied your spaghetti casserole recipe. It sounded really good.