Tuesday, April 14, 2009

DIY Riddling Rack

I just love it when one of my projects actually turns out the way I intended. I've been looking for a wall mounted wine rack to hang in the dining room for a while. I wanted something sort of rustic to coordinate with our furniture, but everything I found was more contemporary-looking. I finally came across the perfect thing...an antique riddling rack.



Unfortunately, every one that I found for sale was at least $600. Also, most were very large panels that were supposed to lean against a wall rather than hang on a wall. So, I decided to make my own. Jon had his doubts that my little project would turn out right, but he humored me and did the sawing for me anyway. Here is the finished product.





No, it's not an antique, nor is quite the statement piece that a real one would be. I didn't have the time or tools needed to make something very authentic-looking. But the total cost was about $25 as opposed to $600, and it's the perfect size for our dining room. I have to get some wine bottles to display now...that's actually a bottle of sparkling grape juice in the pics.

I couldn't find plans/instructions for making this anywhere, so I had to wing it. I purchased a precut aspen board from Lowe's. I marked where I wanted the holes, then I attached 1x4's (cut to length by Jon) to the back of the board where the line of holes would be (to provide more stability for the bottle necks). I used a 1 1/4 inch drill bit to drill holes at an angle (so the bottles won't fall out)...don't ask what degree angles, I free-handed it. Then I stained it and used a heavy-duty mounting hardware for hanging.

What do you guys think?

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so making this!!! I LOVE, LOVE the rustic look and it is something I would totally buy in a heartbeat! That is so cool, thanks!!!

Jennifer said...

Oh yeah, let me know the color/brand of the stain!

Christy said...

The stain is Minwax brand in dark walnut. I didn't put polyurethane on it to finish (I can't handle the fumes right now), but that would look really nice.

Nanny said...

Lee Ottis said to tell you that he knows now where his shop equipment can go when something happens to him. We think that is beautiful Christy. It really added to your dining room. Your house is looking good!!!

Ann Abbott said...

Wow that is great Christy. I am not handy like that at all but sounds like you saved a bundle and it looks awesome.

Audrey's mom said...

That's awesome, Christy! I want one now. LOL

Anonymous said...

Christy,

How much space is between the wall and board? It does not look like much space for it to lay flat with the bottle hanging out.

Thanks,
Jenn

Christy said...

The large board is 3/4 inch thick. The boards I attached across the back are 1 inch thick. So there is a total of 1 3/4 inches of wood to hold the bottle neck. The 1x4's on the back sit flush against the wall. Mine is in an out of the way area...if you run the risk of people bumping into it, you'd definitely want to make it thicker for stability.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Christy! I love it! I am going to try to make one.

Jenn

missarahjessica said...

i think it looks GREAT. Like a modern version of an antique. well done!

OrlandoFearTheBeard.com said...

how did you mount it? and what did you use to mount it?

Christy said...

I purchased a heavy duty picture hanging kit from Lowes. It containted two large rings (I believe they're called D-rings) and a wire which I attached to the back. Then I hung it from two large nails in wall studs.