Friday, February 3, 2012

The Unveiling

Wow, it has been a while since my last post! I've been hard at work on Savannah's loft bed. I wanted to wait until the whole room was redecorated, but I'm too impatient. So I'll post pics of the bed now, then I'll post more later when I've finished the room.

But first, some random photos I had in my camera....

Scarlett playing in her new ballpit




Savannah and Scarlett playing on the playset Santa brought.




Savannah and Simba all dressed up for Maeson's tea party/birthday party.



Savannah's "Hundredth Day of School" project. She collected these acorns on the playground and wanted to use them in her project. There are exactly 100 acorns glued to that poster.






Ok, so this plan was modified from one of Ana White's. The original plan was for a twin size loft bed, and I modified it to fit a queen mattress, added a few more mattress supports, etc. Here's a pic of the bed when I first got started



When I'd finished the bookshelves



And the ladder



These were taken right after I finished, so ignore the exposed screws on the guardrail...those will be covered soon.

TA-DA!




A view of the top



You guys have no idea how glad I am to be finished with this. I've only built kid-sized or toddler-sized furniture before. This is a queen sized loft bed, so I believe that qualifies as adult furniture even though I built it for Savannah. It turned out even better than I hoped, with no "Oh, crap" moments...you know, those times when you realize in the middle of a project that you've made a big mistake.

Savannah loves it, and she slept on it for the first time last night. Now I've got to move her old bed out of her room and into Scarlett's room. Then I need to finish decorating Savy's room...mount the tv on the wall and hang her reading lamp and artwork back up.

Whew! So, to the man at Ace Hardware who chuckled and asked me, "Got a little project going on, have you?" when I was getting a few supplies....and to the clerk at Lowe's who said, "Keeping your husband busy, huh?" when I was buying the wood for this project- boooyah! Do I get some sort of honorary penis now? Who says women can't build awesome stuff?!

8 comments:

Cindy Danner said...

Christy, Jon & I were just talking and looking at your projects and you are an AWESOME lady. You inspire me. Cindy Danner

Christy said...

Thanks, Cindy. I'm pretty proud of myself :)

Robin said...

Well I sure wouldn't say that women can't build awesome stuff ... Especially you! Extremely impressive! And beautiful! Now what are you gonna occupy your spare time with??

Christy said...

I am going to rest for a while. Lol, who am I kidding? It drives me crazy to rest. I'll get bored very soon and start building something else :)

Adam Holly Grace said...

Wow! You are more of a women than I am!! :) No way, could I have the patience for all of that.. but really.. that's awesome! Looks great!

Doug Frizzell said...

Is it bad that I want one of these? :)

Christy said...

Just between you and me, I've hung out up there a couple of times. It's very cozy!

Unknown said...

Hi, Christy! I love this plan. My significant other and I have a small apartment and are looking to make a loft bed for a queen size mattress for our room, to allow us to put office space below the bed. Could you possibly send me more information about this plan, as to how you modified the original plan to have enough support for a queen mattress, etc? I would be super appreciative. My email address is denisalexandrine[at]gmail[dot]com. Thank you in advance! Alexandrine Denis.