Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mmmmmm

Some of you may not be breakfast people (Jen), but I am. I could eat breakfast food for every meal, and we frequently have "breakfast for dinner" around here. Tonight I made Creme Brulee French Toast.



I found the recipe on a blog called "I Just Made This"...I wanted to post a link, but I can't find the blog now for some reason. Anyway, here's the recipe.

1 stick butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
12 slices white "texas toast" style bread
8 oz cream cheese
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cup half and half
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
cool whip
sliced strawberries
cinnamon and sugar

Spread a thick layer of cream cheese onto half the slices of bread, then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of the cream cheese. Put the other half of the bread slices on top so they look like sandwiches. In a saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the sandwiches in the baking dish on top of the brown sugar mixture. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Pour evenly over bread in the dish. Let sit for 15 minutes until bread soaks up almost all the liquid. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until puffed and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve upside-down, topped with cool whip and strawberries. I forgot to serve it upside down. I also sprinkled powdered sugar on top.

This was delicious! Even Jon, who told me "I don't really like french toast," ate two helpings. Savy enjoyed it too...finally, something that everyone liked! And yeah, I know, this isn't on the healthy foods list.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

OK, that sounds so good! It looks so fancy, like something you would get at a restaurant!

Anonymous said...

That sounds sinfully yummy. The key word being sinfully and fastening also. I just cant let myself make something that yummy for dinner or I am in trouble.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I want to eat that right now! :-)