Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's For Dinner

Is there a chef's equivalent to writer's block? I've been frustrated lately because I know what NOT to eat, but I don't really know how to prepare the things we should be eating. I finally had some inspiration last night.

I want to share this very healthy and good recipe. The original recipe is this recipe from Pioneer Woman. I changed it up a little bit. This was Jon's second experience with quinoa, and he tolerated it much better this time since I soaked the quinoa for 24 hours before using it.

These are the changes I made (I didn't have the other stuff on hand):

I used regular quinoa instead of red quinoa.
I used Kosher salt instead of regular table salt.
I omitted the corn and bell peppers.
I used regular white onions instead of green onions.
I added some diced tomatoes.

Savannah ate all of hers, but Scarlett wouldn't even try it. Jon and I both thought it was great. I've been looking at several vegan and/or raw blogs, and I've found quite a few recipes I'm anxious to try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just wanted to mention that we watched the documentary "Sweet Misery" the other night. I had already cut out all artificial sweeteners from my diet, but (after watching it) Jon went through the pantry and threw out EVERYTHING that has aspartame in it.



***Update on the dish ****I had leftovers today, and it is even better on the second day! Also, Scarlett gave it a try today and decided she liked it. This dish is definitely in the rotation now.

1 comment:

Nanny said...

Hooray for Jon. We appreciate him so much!! You have a good guy there, Christy. We love you!