Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope all of you had a great New Year's Eve. I had the best one ever...I was here at home with Jon, Savannah, and Scarlett. The only thing that I would have changed was the weather. Savy was disappointed that we only got to shoot a few fireworks before the storm - but, hey, you can't have it all, right?

One of Savannah's Christmas gifts from Mimi was a down comforter for her bed - she's been saying for a while she wants a "soft, fluffy" bed like mine and Jon's. Yesterday we went to Pottery Barn Outlet to find a duvet cover. They had several very cute twin bed sets, and Savannah found just what she wanted. I admit that this was not the one I would have chosen for her (I loved the lavender and white set), but it's pretty cute.



I like the fairy print. Savannah calls them "good dream fairies."

I guess the new bedding inspired her to make another change, because last night Savannah decided she doesn't want bed rails anymore. Last night we left them folded down (Jon piled pillows and all sorts of stuffed animals on the floor on both sides), but she didn't fall out of bed. So I took them off completely today...she's such a big girl!

I'm very excited about my New Year's resolutions. I have a few of them, but the main one can be summed up in two words - BE HEALTHY. I've already made some pretty big changes in my diet, but I'm working on even bigger ones now. And I'm so ready to start exercising again as soon as I get over this respiratory crud that we've all had!

Everyone's being supportive of my changes, especially Jon - thanks for being such a good sport, Hon! But I know what some of you are thinking...that I'm going overboard...this stuff is a waste of time...it doesn't make any difference. That's the same stuff I used to think. But being diagnosed with MS was a kick in the a$$, and after the initial "feeling sorry for myself" period, I decided that I have to explore every possible treatment.


Do I really think the bad choices I've been making all my life caused me to have MS? No. I believe certain people are predisposed to certain diseases, and you just can't change that.
Do I think the choices I've made in the past may have deprived my body of what it needed to fight off this disease? Probably. Maybe if I hadn't lived off processed foods, junk foods, and drank diet soda like it was water this never would have become a problem. I won't ever know for certain, but there's a lot of very interesting research on the link between the modern American diet and autoimmune disorders.
Do I really think all these changes are going to make any difference now? Absolutely! Anything I can do to make my body stronger and healthier will help me to control this disease. I've actually already seen some pretty impressive results just from the changes I've made.

So I plan to start Copaxone (hopefully) next week and continue with my new lifestyle. I'm slowly introducing Savannah and Scarlett to the new way of eating. They aren't too thrilled about it, but I hope someday they will thank me for it. I just never want to look back and think that I didn't do my very best to keep them healthy - my best starts TODAY.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so proud of you Christy! You make me smile :)

Christy said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I might never have started this if you hadn't pointed me in the right direction!