Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Something New

I'm getting pretty tired of all my chicken recipes, so I tried a new recipe tonight. The sauce reminds me of something from the old Kalo's Tavern in Oxford...the best redneck-Greek restaurant ever. I was so upset when that place closed!

Chicken Gyros with Yogurt Dill Sauce


Ingredients

1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1 Large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into small strips
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
3-4 pita bread rounds or pita pockets, heated

Stir together yogurt, 2 tablespoons dill, garlic, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl. To prepare the dill (yes, fresh does make a difference), I just discarded the large stems and chopped it up in my mini food-processor. And, yes, the garlic was minced with my brand new garlic press!

Place chicken in a bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and 1 teaspoon dill, and toss to coat.

Heat 1 tablespooon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through and brown. Transfer to a plate. Add another tablespoon olive oil to the skillet, add onions, and saute until they begin to brown. Return the chicken to the skillet, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and stir until heated.

Heat the pita bread (I used pita pockets) and top or stuff with chicken and sauce. I rate this an 8. Jon rated it a 6, but only because he didn't like the pita bread. The sauce would also make a great dip for fried mushrooms or fried pickles. It's a good thing this is a fairly guilt-free dish, because Jon brought me a peach cobbler sundae from Sheridan's tonight - YUM!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Kalos in Oxford was great. The same co-owner opened a Greek place here called Volta come try it!