Sunday, December 5, 2010

Making Changes

Jon and I had a great date night last night. Jessica and "Burtney" did tag-team babysitting so Jon and I could have some alone time. We saw the latest Harry Potter movie and then had dinner at Carrabba's. It was much needed!


Shortly after I was diagnosed, my friend, Jen, told me about a few documentaries I should watch...Food Matters, Food Inc, The Gerson Miracle, and The Beautiful Truth. So far, the only one I've had time to watch is "Food Matters," but it was very informative. I can't wait to watch the others. At about the same time, my mom brought up juicing. Two people suggesting similar dietary changes within a week of each other...I took it as a sign. It certainly can't hurt.

I've never been one to eat my veggies. Actually, my diet was pretty terrible until after I gave birth to Savannah and needed to lose the baby weight. I started eating a healthier, lower fat diet, but I still never cared much for vegetables or even very many fruits. Yesterday we purchased a Breville centrifugal juicer, and we set it up today.

Savannah was very excited about making our own juice. She went to the market with me and picked out all the fruit. Earlier today, I picked up "Total Juicing", which is a book of pretty basic juicing info and recipes.

Here is the cast of characters. Pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, pears, apples, carrots, and kiwi. I thought it would be easier to start with mostly fruits, then work up to the veggie juices.



Savy with the juicer.



Savannah's excitement faded once she tasted the juice....not exactly the kind she had in mind. She still wanted to help with making all three recipes I'd decided to try, so I insisted she drink some if she was going to help make it. I hope she will develop a taste for it.



Scarlett loved it! She chugged her cup quickly then smiled and said "Mmmmmm."

3 comments:

Nanny said...

Good idea!! Some star, I can't remember his name, who has MS, was promoting a juicer on tv the other night. That might be the same kind. I think it was on QVC or HSN. He told how many oz. of fruits and veggies he consumes each day.

Christy said...

Probably Montel Williams.

Georgianna said...

Christy, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Let me know how the juicing goes. I have RA and MS is under the same umbrella for disease. I do traditional meds, have tried some other things but don't seem to work. Would love to find a way to get off them though!!!