Thursday, June 24, 2010

So Sad

I walked out to check on our baby birds this afternoon, but they weren't there. In fact, the whole nest was missing. I was so upset...I was so looking forward to watching those little guys grow up. I came inside all depressed and told Jon about it. He went out to have a look and found one of the babies on the ground behind the tree where the nest was. The baby seemed to be ok, but the nest was nowhere to be found. I grabbed an old plastic nursery pot and some paper towels, and Jon cut the top off to make it more shallow. We stuffed the paper towels inside and put what little nest material was left on top. Jon secured it to the branches with zip-ties, and we plopped the baby in. We actually found one more baby, but we couldn't find the third. I wathched from the dining room window to see if the parents would come back. They finally did, and it the remaining babies are doing fine.



It's not nearly as good as the one mommy and daddy built, but it's better than the ground.

Here's momma bird feeding them in the new nest...you can barely see her tail sticking out.




Now I just have to find a way to keep whatever animal did it from doing it again. I suspect one of the neighborhood cats... I saw the daddy bird attacking it a couple of days ago.

No comments: