Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hummingbird Moth

We've been seeing these huge moths that look like hummingbirds lately. They show up just before dark, and they love my moonflowers. Jon made this great video last night. The best views are midway through to the end. Watch closely and you can see their tongue in a few shots (I'm sure there's a proper name for it that I don't know) - it's incredibly long.

This one is much better and clearer than the previous one I shared on Facebook.

Make sure to click on the lower right corner to enlarge the video to full screen.


Aren't they gorgeous?

2 comments:

TheresainMS said...

This moth is beautiful; I've never seen one before. We have tons of hummingbirds right now; about 40 to 50 of them at the peak feeding times. On two feeders too so it's quite a mad dash. I could sit and watch them all day and never tire of it. I told Debbie I should take a video and have Jon set it to that song 'Party All the Time' :-)

Christy said...

They really are gorgeous. I could sit and watch them for hours. Their wings make such a soothing sound.