Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Callie hasn't been feeling well for a while now. We first thought it was just her arthritis flaring up, but then she stopped eating. This morning, she wouldn't even get off her chair, so I took her to the vet. Turns out she's in renal failure. She's going to have to stay at the vet for 2 days for iv fluids and dialysis. We'll decide what to do based on her progress after 48 hours. The good news is that her kidneys are still functioning and have not completely shut down, so there is hope. Getting Callie to the vet with Scarlett and Savy was no easy task. Savy wasn't too happy about leaving Callie there.

We have the worst luck with dogs! I guess it has been going on as long as I can remember...the little poodle I had as a young child was hit by a car. Then my little Yorkie went into renal failure and had to be euthanized. We got a pound puppy shortly after that which promptly had to be put down due distemper (thanks Memphis Animal Shelter). Callie ate some rat bait a few months back and had to be on vitamin k supplements forever. Now Callie is in renal failure (not related to the rat poison). Vita has been the luckiest of them all, but she's always had problems....chronic urinary tract infections, ear infections, and intestinal infections. I just don't understand it...we take good care of our animals. We take them for yearly checkups and feed them well. Their living quarters are always clean. Why are our dogs always getting sick? The cats are always fine...good thing for them!


Ann said...

Hope your dog is OK! Dont blame yourself it happens and only makes matters worse. We do the best we can and things just seem to come out of no where and blindside us. Cant wait to see Scarlett again, She is getting so big already.

TheresainMS said...

So sorry Callie's not feeling well; I certainly hope she'll be healthy and back home soon. The cats we've always had have always been healthier than our dogs too. I guess their constitution's are just stronger; at least in resisting illness. I did have one that ended up with feline leukemia and was told that it was fairly common. We have one cat that lives in and out. I don't think we've ever had to take him to the vet. The dogs are a different story. We only have one left and she's always been fairly healthy but has had tick paralysis twice. Pets can be trouble but they sure are worth it in my opinion; our terrier mix is my 'black daughter' now that the boys are out of the house. Have a great Wednesday; I'll be thinking of y'all and Callie!