Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I've been feeling pretty domestic lately. Last week I was on a mad cleaning spree, and this week I've been working on a few projects. I finally got around to making myself a clothespin apron...



Cute, huh? Savannah was amazed that I actually sewed that from scratch. I don't know why everyone is always shocked when they find out I can sew.

I have finally gotten the hang of making green smoothies. I initially tried them with my old blender, and it just didn't work. THEN I got a Vitamix. I LOVE my Vitamix! No wonder everyone raves about them...they make a completely smooth, creamy drink. My favorite smoothie is a handful of greens (kale, spinach, collard, etc), big spoonful of organic almond butter, about a cup of coconut or hemp milk, some flax or chia seeds, a frozen banana, some local honey, and a few ice cubes. Sometimes I throw in a handful of walnuts or some uncooked oats.



I've started having these for breakfast instead of my usual oatmeal. Scarlett loves them, and I've even managed to get Savy to drink a few by masking the greens with chocolate.


My greens come from my little patio garden. It's so convenient to just walk out the back door and grab a handful of fresh organic greens...or strawberries as you see Scarlett doing below.



The garden is in all different stages of growth right now due to the crazy weather. Some things are just now sprouting. We've got bell peppers, several types of hot peppers, kale, spinach, a cucumber plant, bibb lettuce, and strawberries. Herbs are mint, rosemary, basil, cilantro, and chives. The collards and green onions are just sprouting and too small to see. There's also some asparagus in there, but I'm not having too much luck with that.

We had a rare treat for dinner tonight. When I first started researching "real food", ground beef was one of the first things that went on my off-limits list. But today I actually came across some organic, grass-fed, filler-free, hormone-free and antibiotic-free ground beef today and thought I'd give it a shot. I made spaghetti, and the girls LOVED it.



The sauce is just the browned meat, organic tomato sauce, organic tomato paste, sauteed onions, garlic powder, and dried oregano. I used whole wheat pasta, so this was a pretty healthy meal. Both Savy and Scarlett had seconds...I couldn't believe it! Surprisingly, Savannah didn't feel the need to say "I don't like onions" as she ALWAYS does (several times) whenever I make anything with onions. Even Jon (who has been pretty hard to please since my "real food" epiphany) liked it. Poor Jon...he is truly the poster-child for "Be careful what you wish for."

No comments: